Saturday, May 12, 2018

Watercolor Crayons: Distress Crayon, Neocolor II, Gelatos, & More... Compared


Cleaning my studio (I'm avoiding homework) but thought I'd take a break and try out a sample Marabu Art Crayon I got from Jerry's Artarama. At time of this posting, Jerry's has the Marabu red art crayon on a special "buy it/try it" deal of $2.25. I started using Stabilo Woody crayons on my mixed media pieces and then Gelatos from Faber Castell and Tim Holtz's Distress crayons came out... well, I keep buying and trying as the textures, color ranges and forms are all a touch different. Below I have tried the previous crayons with the addition of Caran d'ache Neocolor II Aquarells and Dina Wakley's scribble sticks.


There are pros and cons with all of them: I like the chunkiness of the Stabilo Woodys and the Marabu Art Crayon. That shape seems to works great when working on large canvases, but the gelatos are too creamy for canvas in my opinion-they get used up rather quickly, so I save them for paper. The Dina Wakely are harder and can be "scrubbed" off the paper so you don't see the drawn lines, if your paper can handle it. I like them for details. The Gelatos and Distress Crayons are good for mixing and stamping. The Neocolor II's are just smooth and lovely, come in just about every color, but in pricier sets. A note on the Stabilo Woodys: make sure you get a pencil sharpener with your set as these pencils are too big for most pencil sharpeners. 

SaveSave

No comments: